Sunday, February 23, 2014

March Newsletter

Sisters Living With Alopecia Inc. is approaching it's 2nd year anniversary! Our founder Stacie Ferrell - Tucker gave birth to SLWA on April 4, 2012, when she realize there was need of support for women and children who had lost their hair to alopecia. Stacie was tired of hiding from wigs searched locally for support but their was none. Stacie was aware of NAAF, The National Alopecia Areata Foundation, there was no immediate support, so she started a Facebook page for Sisters (Women of all ages and race) to support one another, but Stacie had a higher purpose and became the next face and voice for women and children affected by alopecia. 

SLWA is now a non-profit organization helping women and children locally and nationally to spread alopecia awareness, education and self confidence. SLWA INC. will celebrate it's 2nd anniversary on April 5, 2014 at it's 2nd annual "Accept Me As I Am' Women's Summit. The summit celebrates every woman uniqueness. It's an afternoon of empowerment, encouragement, awareness, testimonies, self transformations, entertainment and great food!  If you like to donate, sponsor or purchase a ticket to the event, please click on the following link: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/accept-me-as-i-am-womens-summit-tickets-10232968083

100% of the proceeds will benefit SLWA's Scholarship Fund. For scholarship information, visit Sisters Living With Alopecia's website: http://www.sisterslivingwithalopecia.com/scholorship-2

- Angela Whitaker

Lili Anel
Alopecian Musician
On her sixth CD release I Can See Bliss From Here (Wall-I Records), released September 17, 2013, Lili AƱel donned yet another hat, as co-producer and teamed up with Dale Melton, a friend and fellow musician who’d played in her rhythm section for over a year. The collaboration as co-producers has proven fruitful, delivering a profoundly honest and diverse recording. The staff favorite track is "Got Me Thinking". 

Please support Lili and purchase her latest CD, which can be purchased at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lilianel22
 SLWA: Lili, our beautiful Alopecian Sister,  please briefly tell us about yourself.
Lili Anel: I've been a musician most of my life. I was signed to a record label in the mid-90s.  When the label decided to go in a different direction my contract was not renewed. I kept on with my music, writing, recording, working as a temp to pay my bills and support my art and family.

Most recently I released a new CD "I Can See Bliss From Here".  One of the songs I wrote on the CD is autobiographical. Talks about my growing up, and my Mom. In a nutshell, the idea I tried to get across was that if you have "love" it will see you through anything. That's something my Mom used to always say to me.  My Mom died of ovarian cancer when she was just 52 years old.  

I have a verse in the song that reflects my alopecia journey:

"I shaved my head
bald today
you see, most 
of my hair had
fallen out, anyway

and when people
laugh at me,
I just smile
cause I believe 
they're just scared
it could be them
instead of me

they're just scared
it could be them
instead of me

they just don't know
what to do
its just their 
something to do

so much pain
gets in the way
you can't find
your peace

I know love will 
save the day
if you believe..."

The song tells my story and having lost my hair is one of the big parts of my existence. 
For more information about our/your sister, feel free to check out the following links: 
http://www.examiner.com/list/jazz-examiner-picks-top-13-albums-from-2013/lili-a-el-can-see-bliss-from-here
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=46308&pg=1#.UwoYWYWma9F



Corner of  Purpose & Passion
Dena Burton
From the beginning Dena knew she was different. When girls her age were playing with dolls she was intrigued with magazines and the beautiful things she saw in them. Her career in hair began at the age of 12. Later as a help to a close relative, she created a fundraiser by hand making key chains and bracelets to sell. The fundraiser snowballed into a business. At the time Dena was only 16, a full time high school student (Kinston High) and part- time student in the Cosmetology program at Lenoir Community College. Dena graduated High School 1996 and continued her journey as a beauty student. August 1997 Dena received her cosmetology license from the state of North Carolina. August 2007 she fulfilled her dream of opening her own salon, All Eyes on You Beauty in Goldsboro, NC.

 Dena is currently the Lead Makeup Artist/Event Coordinator for Reveal Cosmetics. Dena is a platform artist and product tester for Haircology Hair products, and has been featured in publications including Our Success Magazine, and still runs her own image consulting business. She has recently become the beauty and fashion expert for Diamond Diva Magazine. Dena's passion is to help people live there dreams, thus turning their goals into reality. Currently Dena and her team are working to build a solid network with individuals and businesses that want to customize services/products, which produce extra income without adding extra work. Her current goal is to create a website and a newsletter to continuously keep her customers informed. Dena and her team are available to facilitate/teach business marketing sessions, motivational speaking, branding classes & style sessions hair/makeup/skincare classes. They also provide beauty & fashion services for photo shoots and events. 

Dena recently donated an image makeover courtesy of Reveal Cosmetics valued at $125 to SLWA's Accept Me As I Am Women's Summit Scholarship Fundraiser.

 Dena's favorite quote is, "God doesn't make trash, so stop pretending to be worthless!" To book Dena email her at diamonddivadena@gmail.com. Dena's Facebook pages: www.facebook.com/diamonddivadena


I ROCK ALOPECIA !!!
SPOTLIGHT
Kimberly McDonald Taylor

As a career, I am an educator. I meet and have met a lot of people doing what I do on a day to day basis. I have an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of children directly, but adults indirectly. I take that very seriously and I LOVE what I do!

I said all of that to say this....

Every since Thursday, January 9, 2014, the day I revealed being beautifully bald to the public, I've had to share my story; basically educate people. There were several meetings, schools, and conferences that I've had to attend and somewhat "break the ice" with my story because people did not know what to think or better yet, say.

I've had to share my story in a long or short version. I've been asked if I was taking chemo, was I ok, or what's going on with the new look?

I've been very successful with answering any question that has come my way pertaining to my "new look".

The last meeting I conducted was a monthly meeting with youth grade 4th-12th and adult this past Tuesday. When they saw Ms. Kim, as they call me, they had a puzzled look on their faces. I could not conduct my meeting with them without "sharing my story".

My story basically went like this:
I pulled up the first photo attachment and said this is how I looked about 20 years ago. (Showed them college pictures and my years as a teacher)
It showed the low cut and some thinning. I explained to them that after going to the 3rd dermatologist, I accepted the fact that I will not have a head full of hair.
Then I showed them the 2nd photo attachment. This photo collage includes me with a wig. I shared with them that over the 8 years they've known me, I've worn a wig. The last photo attachment was ME. The beautifully bald woman standing in front of them. I shared my process of how I got to that point. I also shared that I was good! Really good! Good with who I am.

Stacie [SLWA], you have given me and other ladies like me a platform to share our stories. My story is that I now wear colors. My story is now I see my beautiful eyes, my wonderful skin, my glowing personality. My story is NOT about having hair, but having  joy! My story is about knowing how beautiful I am inside and out. That's my story.....

I want to know how I can help spread our stories.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 was not just another day, but it was a day that opened the door to share my story with others about Living with Alopecia.

Thanks for the platform......
Kimberly 


 AD's & Announcements

** Place Ad Here For Free!!! Inbox your ad information to sisterslivingwithalopecia@yahoo.com by the 20th of each month. The first 5 submitted ads will be added for free!!!

Are you a subscriber yet? If not, become one today. We will enter you for a free prize on the 15th of each month!




Book available of Amazon.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment